Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Book Buy Backs

It's time to sell your books back.  "Put a little green in your stocking" and a lot in the bookstore.  I hate this system.  Buy a book from the bookstore for $100.  Sell it back for $50.  They hold onto it for a few weeks and sell it for $100 again.

I have a better idea.  Everyone give me your books.  I'll hold onto them until the next semester and sell them to your friends for double the money.

This year, they pissed me off on a deeper level than usual.  Last Friday, I went to the bookstore to sell my books before the flood of students going in after finals.  I needed to hold on to two books for my piano final, but I asked the lady how much I could get for them anyway.  "Ok this one is $9 and this one is $6."  Before she put them on the stack, I stopped her.  "Oh I'm not selling those I just wanted to figure out their worth."  I told her...  

Well its five days later and I go into the store and after I wait through the 30 minute line, they tell me it can't be done.  Why? Oh, they have a list of excuses to throw at you.  "It's not being offered next semester" (yes it is).  "We only accept first editions" (there's no new edition).  "We don't know why it wont show up in our computer" (figure it out).  "AHA! You've written some answers on the pages" (got me).  I filled in the blanks on 5 pages so I could read the music.  

So what can I do?  I could go through each page and do an immaculate job of whiting out the ink marks and then come back and stand in the thursday edition of the bookstore line to see what they say then.  Nope.  Not worth $15.  I hate the bookstore.  I'm starting my own.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Start it. I'd buy from you.