Sunday, December 7, 2008

5 Restaurants: Imperia


I went in a party of 8 for a friend's birthday party.  She used to go to St. Ed's but moved after freshmen year.  She likes to come back to Austin for birthdays.  This year she kicked it up a notch.  

Imperia is an upscale sushi restaurant downtown.  A place with a dark colored theme and very low light.  I remember a lot of black red and gold.  My guess is fancy restaurants keep the lights dim so that ladies look prettier all dressed up.  When I say upscale, I mean drinks were about as expensive if not more than entrées.

My problem with upscale sushi is that if you were to go to Japan - you know that place that made sushi first - its not upscale like this.  Its in a simple cafe with a rotating track that has a bunch of rolls on it.  Imperia lost me somewhere in the fancy presentation.  It's a roll of rice and fish in seaweed and there isn't enough on my plate.  I didn't really mind.  I knew it was gonna be expensive.  If you are a on a college kid budget, the better sushi may be somewhere less fancy.  If you have to go, order "the Bank."  In the picture, I'm having a Kung Fu Cosmopolitan.

No comments: