Monday, December 8, 2008

2 Races: The Dallas Turkey Trot


The Turkey Trot is a race in Dallas that takes place on Thanksgiving morning every year benefiting the YMCA.  My family has been doing it since before I was born so every Thanksgiving, I find myself, usually cold, forced to go 3 miles.  When I was younger I did the 8 mile because I had no concept of exhaustion.  After a few years in college, I've gotten so out of shape that I feel accomplished knowing that i "trained" hard enough to do the 3 mile in 25 minutes.

The race is the biggest Thanksgiving event of its kind in the country.  This year, it had over 50,000 runners turn out.  The crowd is massive.  I would have probably won the race if there weren't so many people clogging the streets of downtown Dallas.  Win or lose, it's a great way to start Thanksgiving.  Lose a few pounds in the morning, then add them and a few more back at dinner.

No comments: