Monday, September 8, 2008

Marc Sherman's sorta tour of Austin Cuisine

I had some friends come in town this weekend to visit. My impression was that everytime they come into town, they sit around someone's apartment watching TV. As they insisted on doing this most of the time, I did what I could to take them out for some food you can only find in Austin.


The first place I took them to was Juan in a Million. East of 35 on Cesar Chavez, this place is a diamond in the rough. Someone from work told me about it. "..a mountain of eggs, potatoes, bacon and cheese for like $4, man!" Thats exactly what "The Don Juan" is and it's delicious.


The next day I made them come with me to Torchy's Tacos on First Street between Oltorf and 290. If you've never been to Torchy's and you don't hate tacos, I strongly encourage you to treat yourself to something truly scrumptious. Every time I'm there I hear a lot of people order the "Baja Shrimp" so those must be pretty popular and take my word for it, they're really good. I'd say the best value there is the "Trailer Park" taco: Fried Chicken with green chilis, lettuce and pico with pablano ranch. So sloppy but so delicious.

No comments: