Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Spoon @ The Parish 10/13/08

Last night was my first visit to "the Parish" but surely not my last.  This is my new favorite place to see live music in Austin.  Tucked upstairs in this charming bar is a modestly sized ballroom.  The decor is tasteful - 10'x10' wooden paintings fill the wall space.  There is something very comfortable about the place.

Announced only 2 weeks ago, Spoon performed as a "Benefit for Texas Democrats."  Some man with a funny mustache said a few words before they got going about how glad he was to have us all voting Democrat.  Like many there, I came for Spoon.  I just happen to like Obama.  Even though the show was sold out, I was able to make my way to the bar and back... more times than I should probably admit but my spot in the very front was always waiting for me.  None of that pushing and shoving I've grown to expect at shows.

This was probably the 5th time I'd seen Spoon and definitely my favorite set.  A few songs I'd never heard before (band is about to get back in the studio to finish their new album).  The sound was good other than a few microphone glitches, which went away after the sound guy received a couple stink-eyes.  They even brought those trumpets, trombones, and sax that are so popular in "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" out for older songs like "Stay Don't Go."

Thanks to the intimacy of The Parish, Britt Daniel took a few seconds to point at me and mutter something like "alright" when he wasn't busy popping his neck veins at the microphone.  I even got a sweaty hug after the encore and bought him a beer.

1 comment:

outandaboutaustin said...

The Parish has the best sound system downtown. And it's just the right size for certain acts.